Landlord-Tenant Claims

Landlord-Tenant Claims

Bill Ager has handled a wide range of landlord-tenant issues. He is familiar with the many governmental regulations at both the state and local level that have made leases for apartments, condominiums, houses and business more complex in the past several years.

Whether the issue is nonpayment of rent, refusal to vacate, or a wrongful termination of a lease, Bill can help. Hiring an experienced attorney can make all the difference in achieving a reasonable and effective resolution of your landlord-tenant problem. Bill will effectively negotiate on your behalf and represent you at trial if necessary.

Landlord-tenant issues that Bill handles include:

  • Evictions
  • Termination of leases
  • Payment and nonpayment of rent
  • Security deposits and damage to rental property
  • Drafting and reviewing leases
  • Landlord and tenant rights
  • Out-of-state landlords

Contact Bill Ager at (734) 649-0784 or at for more details on reasonable flat fees for these services.


What should I bring with me to a consultation with an attorney about my landlord-tenant issue?

In addition to the lease and any written amendments or extensions to the lease, you should bring copies of all written communications you have had with the tenant or landlord. This would include emails and correspondence. A summary of all oral communications between a landlord and tenant is also very important. In addition, an attorney will want to review a summary of all paid and unpaid rent, applicable late fees and management records.

What is the timeline for evicting a tenant?

There is no definite timeline. The time to regain possession of a premises depends on the whether the tenant offers a defense to the eviction at the initial court hearing in District Court.

If the tenant does not appear for the court hearing or appears and has no factual defenses, then a landlord can obtain possession of the property in about a month after the complaint is filed. If the tenant disputes the landlord’s claims and offers a factual defense, the district court will usually schedule a settlement conference to try to resolve the case.

If the parties are unable to resolve the issues at the settlement conference, a trial is scheduled. The timeline is then extended for at least a couple of months and sometimes much longer. However, even if a tenant is allowed to remain in possession of the premises through trial, the District Court can require the tenant to make a monthly rental payment into an escrow account with the court clerk.